Cosmetic dentistry can be described as procedures designed to improve the appearance of a person’s teeth and gums, rather than to restore health or treat a medical dental problem. Many cosmetic services are commonly integrated along with restorative treatments though, in order to return the patient to an enhanced state of both form (appearance) and function (chewing).
Dr. Stephen Gaines and the team of professionals at Sherwood Dental in Oakville are skilled in performing a variety of cosmetic dental services. These can be used to correct a single aspect of a patient’s smile, deliver an overall image enhancement, or services can be combined to achieve an entire makeover. Any decision of a patient to pursue cosmetic dental improvements can contribute towards renewing their confidence and improving their self-esteem. While these are important to a patient’s overall wellbeing, a quality cosmetic dentist such as Dr. Gaines will ultimately be concerned with the overall oral health of the patient.
Cosmetic dentistry is regularly used to correct and improve deficiencies such as missing or damaged teeth, unattractive gaps or crowded teeth, or unpleasant discolorations or stains. Innovative treatments are available, including such services as:
- Teeth whitening – In-office or take-home methods, according to patient preference, to brighten a dull or discolored smile.
- Porcelain veneers – Minimally invasive yet strong shell-like coverings for teeth. Suitable for correcting significant gaps, fractures, discolorations, as well as unevenness due to excess wear.
- Orthodontics – Braces to straighten misaligned teeth.
- Periodontics – Treatment of gum disease and underlying oral bone structure.
- Porcelain crowns – Used cosmetically and as a restoration for severely damaged teeth. Preserves much of the natural tooth structure. Beautiful, sturdy covering for a prepared tooth to provide normal function and appearance. Also used with a dental bridge to affix it in place using adjacent teeth.
- Bonding – Tooth-colored resin applied to teeth, often to correct minor gaps, chips, and color concerns. Bonding can also be used in situations to repair fractures and to reshape teeth for a more uniform appearance.
- Tooth-colored fillings – Used to fill a tooth treated for a dental cavity. Strong composition for function, bonded to your natural tooth for strength, and more esthetically-pleasing than traditional amalgam, which is metal and silver in color.
- Inlay/Onlay restorations – Strong, bonded and minimally-invasive alternative to large fillings or more invasive crowns.
Dr. Stephen Gaines
Dr. Arti Patel
What our patients say about Cosmetic Dentistry Treatment
Several visits now to Sherwood has allowed me the opportunity to say this place is as professional as it comes...Everyone of my visits have gone very well, I have had visits with two different hygienists, both of which have been comfortable, thorough and has me feeling good afterwards. Highly recommend. Augie M.
Originally Posted on
Whether your need is simple or complex, we offer experience with a quality touch of artistry to beautify your smile and help you achieve the look and strength you’ve always wanted.