Our teeth are strong, but they can still be significantly damaged and can have problems if they are not cared for properly. With the help of the right dentist, however, your teeth can last your lifetime and be repaired if damaged. Dental crowns are a fantastic way to repair damaged teeth, and for those in Oakville looking for dental crowns, the Sherwood Dental team can help. Drs. Stephen Gaines and Arti Patel offer restorative solutions, including quality dental crowns.
When might you need a dental crown?
When a tooth becomes severely damaged due to decay, cracks, or chips, it cannot function as it should. Additionally, severe tooth decay can lead to an infection that causes pain and discomfort. Therefore, whenever a tooth is damaged beyond the point when a filling or composite resin can assist, the dentist may recommend dental crown placement. A crown acts as a "cap" to the exposed area of the tooth above the gum line. It is made of porcelain and bonded over the tooth structure. It provides protection and aesthetic appearance, as the crown's colour, shape, and size are designed to match the patient's natural teeth for seamless integration. Dental crowns are an excellent solution for many of our patients.
What is the process of obtaining a dental crown?
- Consultation. First, patients will have an evaluation with Drs. Stephen Gaines and Arti Patel to determine if they are an appropriate candidate.
- Preparation. Second, preparation is done, where the dentist will remove enamel to make room for the crown.
- Impressions. Moulds of the tooth are made and used by a dental ceramist to fabricate the crown based on the dentist's instructions.
- Temporary. A temporary crown is put in place until the permanent restoration is completed.
- Bonding. After approximately one week, the patient will return to the dental office to remove the temporary crown and place the new crown from the ceramist.
- Care. Patients will learn how to care for their dental crown and keep it for many years to come!
Consider Sherwood Dental for your restorative dentistry needs
Patients of the Oakville, ON community and beyond are welcome to book a consultation visit and initial evaluation with our team of dentists. Drs. Stephen Gaines
and Arti Patel
are committed to offering the best general, cosmetic, and restorative care treatments. The office is conveniently located at 2892 South Sheridan Way and accepts new patients who call 844-951-8855 for an appointment